Winter Weather & School Cancellation
Well, it’s looking nastier by the minute out there. Therefore, it’s time to review the following information regarding potential school closures or delays.
In the case of a “one hour delay”, school will begin at 10:00am, while a “school closure” results in no school at all for the day.
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the Public School Board, formerly knows as the English Language School Board. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
There are a number of ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island), Twitter (@gcs_pei), and Instagram (gcspei) accounts
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites
- Families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to. If you opted in last year and still have the same cell phone number, it is already still in the system.
Stay safe, everybody!