Well, it’s about that time of year again. You know, the time when you check the Environment Canada website on a daily basis? It certainly looks like it’s trying to storm on Tuesday, so keep in mind that in the event we do have a storm day this week, we will proceed with a typical school day on Friday to accommodate the high school students writing exams. Keep your eyes on the blog, Twitter, and Facebook throughout the week for up to date information!
How will I know if school is delayed or cancelled?
- Check the GCS Facebook & Twitter Feed
- Turn in to any PEI radio station or browse their websites
- Visit the CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/)
- NEW THIS YEAR – families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to.
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the English Language School Board. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”. In this event, GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
Winter Weather Procedures
As the catchy song that has been stuck in my head since Christmas says, “Baby, it’s cold outside!” As such, we want to ensure all students are appropriately dressed for the weather, especially since our playground has a lack of protection from the biting winter wind. Consistent with previous years, elementary students will be outdoors for recess unless the conditions exceed -15 0 C. Students are asked to come prepared for outdoor recess EVERYDAY, in the event that temperatures rise and the conditions improve. This means hats, mittens, snow pants, and proper winter footwear.
Christian Apologist Sessions at UPEI
As a matter of interest, this week Dr. Andy Bannister, Canadian Director of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries, will be giving a series of presentations on The Credibility of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Monday, January 26 @ 3PM
Is Belief in God Reasonable? Dialogue with Dr. Malcolm Murray, Chair of UPEI Philosophy Department
Monday, January 26 @ 7PM
Hasn’t Science Buried God?
Tuesday, January 27 @ 7PM
Is Belief in God Irrational?
Location: All 3 sessions above are at the UPEI Duffy Science Centre Amphitheatre (room 135)
A Q&A time will follow each session.
Skeptics, agnostics and atheists welcome!
Check out http://tinyurl.com/rzim-at-upei for more information.
Important Dates to Remember
January 30th — PD Day (No classes unless there is a storm day during the week)
February 5th — Report Cards
February 5th — Parent Teacher Interviews 6pm – 9pm
February 6th — Parent Teacher Interviews 10am – 12 am (No classes)
Upcoming Test, Quizzes, and Assignments
- Monday – Book Report Poster due
- Wednesday – Penmanship Test 12
- Thursday – Spelling Test 16
- Tuesday – Language Test 6
- Wednesday – Penmanship Test 5, Math Test 8
- Thursday – Spelling Test 16
- The following Monday – “Book Float” Book Report due