As we start another full week, I just want to say that I am very proud of my students, their generous spirit, and their kind, accepting attitudes. They are honestly one of the nicest groups of children I’ve had the privilege of working with! 🙂
Bundle Up, Please!
Brr! It’s getting nippy out there! Please ensure your child has mittens/gloves, a hat, and snow pants as there is almost always a biting wind on our playground this time of year.
Shoe Boxes – 172 and counting!
Thank you for an AMAZING out-pouring of God’s love. We have collected 172 shoe boxes thus far and a number of parents have promised to bring in more. Mrs. Huizing has vowed to tell us the final count for the school, PEI, and Canada during this week’s chapel.
Winter Storm Procedures and NEW Text-Message Option
As the white fluffy stuff on the ground can tell you, winter has basically arrived. When winter storms hit the Island and cause dangerous driving conditions, the English Language School Board may decide to delay or cancel school for the day. In the case of a “one hour delay”, school will begin at 10:00am while a “school closure” results in no school at all for the day.
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the English Language School Board. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
There are a number of ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island) or Twitter (@gcs_pei) feed
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites
- NEW THIS YEAR – families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to.
Perhaps you’ve noticed your child humming some merry tunes over the weekend, If so, that may be because we’ve just started practicing for the annual Christmas Program! This festive performance will take place on Friday, December 12 with a matinee performance at 1:30 and an evening performance at 6:30.
Upcoming Tests and Quizzes
- Tuesday – Math Test 8, Penmanship Test 6
- Friday – Spelling Test 10
- Thursday – Math Test 5
- Friday – Spelling Test 10, Writing Assignment